Chicken Macaroni Gratin
This hearty gratin is filled with creamy, cheesy, chicken goodness. The fun part is that you can add whatever other ingredients you like — broccoli, asparagus, tomatoes, blue cheese, or even pieces of a hardened baguette! Just be patient until the desired color of golden brown on top is achieved.
Make sure you have a gratin dish that fits in BALMUDA The Toaster!
Recipe by food stylist Nami Iijima
|2.5 oz macaroni|
|1 small chicken thigh|
|1/4 tsp salt|
|2 tbsp white wine|
|2 tbsp water|
|1/4 of a whole onion|
|1/3 of a spinach bunch|
|1 tsp vegetable oil|
|Moderate amount of shredded cheese|
|White Sauce Ingredients|
|2.5 tbsp flour|
|2.5 tbsp butter|
|450 ml milk|
|1.5 tsp salt|
|A little white pepper (to taste)|
Ready in 30 minutes
- Slice the onions and mushrooms, cut the chicken thighs into bite-size pieces, and sprinkle with salt (1/4 teaspoon).
- Boil the macaroni in salted water for one minute less than the indicated cooking time (depending on the type of macaroni). Drain and set aside.
- Boil the spinach in salted water. Drain, squeeze out the water, and cut into 2 inch pieces.
- Heat a large pan and add the butter. When it melts, add the flour and fry over low heat for 2 - 3 minutes. When the bubbles start to form, add warm milk and simmer over low heat for 5 - 6 minutes while stirring. Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a separate hot frying pan and fry the chicken skin side down. When it is browned, add the white wine and water, and cook for 5 minutes. Add to the white sauce from Step 4.
In the same frying pan you fried the chicken, pour a little more vegetable oil and lightly fry the onions and mushrooms.
- Add the onions, mushrooms, macaroni and spinach to the white sauce mix, combine, and bring to a boil.
- Put Step 6 into a heat-resistant container, sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake in BALMUDA The Toaster until browned.
- If the ingredients are cooled, bake on Oven Mode at 400°F for 10 minutes. If the ingredients are warm, bake on Oven Mode at 450°F for 5 - 7 minutes to brown the surface.